Regional NSW is bursting with exciting events and experiences this Australia Day long weekend.
NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said, “The Australia Day long weekend is a great opportunity to explore NSW and discover the unique events, hidden gems and exciting experiences on offer.”
“NSW offers a diverse range of exciting long weekend activities, be it road tripping and beach hopping on the South Coast, an epic hiking challenge in the Snowy Mountains or leisurely exploring the State's cellar doors and boutique providores in the Hunter Valley, “Mr Marshall said.
Here's a snapshot of some of the best events and experiences in Regional NSW this Australia Day long weekend:
- Tamworth Country Music Festival: Australia's largest music festival, Tamworth Country Music Festival features the 'who's who' of country music as well as Australia's best emerging artists who will perform at more than 2,800 events across 120 venues. From 19 – 28 January, there's free and ticketed events taking place each day, including a dedicated family zone and 400 plus buskers hoping to be spotted as the next country music star on Tamworth's 'Boulevard of Dreams' in Peel Street. Some of Australia's biggest country music stars started out busking on Peel Street, including Keith Urban, Troy Cassar-Daley, Kasey Chambers and Beccy Cole.
- 100 Beaches Challenge: The Shoalhaven is home to more than 100 stunning beaches. Take the 100 beaches challenge and discover some or all of this spectacular coastline, from brilliant white sand beaches to turquoise bays and stellar surf breaks.
- BBQ lunch atop Mount Kosciuszko: Join hundreds of fellow Aussies and hike to Australia's highest peak at Mount Kosciuszko. Celebrate at the summit with a high alpine BBQ and poetry reading of The Man from the Snowy River as part of this unique event. The NSW Snowy Mountains is an adventure seeker's paradise during the Summer months and is home to some of the best mountain biking, hiking, white-water kayaking, abseiling and high country horse-riding in Australia. Also not to be missed is relaxing in the thermal hot springs at Yarrangobilly and sampling the locally produced wine, beer and whisky at cellar doors across the region.
- Hunter Valley harvest: The annual harvest will be in full swing, with grapes being picked and the Hunter Valley's newest wines being made. Pick-up an e-bike from Sutton Estate and pedal with ease exploring some of Australia's most famous vineyards, as well as some of the best emerging and boutique winemakers. Australia Day long weekend also marks the final weekend to view the Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens.
- Port to port adventure on the mighty Murray River: From either Moama or Wentworth, hire a houseboat and explore the Mighty Murray River on an epic three-day adventure of boating, fishing, kayaking and paddling. Explore the ports, national parks and lakes of the Murray River, including Echuca Moama, which is one Australia's biggest inland ports and home to the largest fleet of operating paddle steamers in the world.
- Road trip Waterfall Way: Discover five National Parks and 13 waterfalls on the 185km road trip from Coffs Harbour to Armidale. Not to be missed is Dorrigo National Park, a sanctuary of World Heritage-listed rainforests and magnificent waterfall walks, Australia's second highest waterfall Wollomombi Falls and swimming at the base of the magnificent Dangar Falls.
Share your favourite Sydney and NSW holidays on social media by using the hashtag #IloveSydney or #NewSouthWales.
For more information on getaways in Regional NSW go to www.visitnsw.com or sydney.com
About Destination NSW
Destination NSW is the lead NSW Government agency for the State's tourism and major events industry and is responsible for devising and implementing strategies to grow the State's visitor economy. Our particular focus is driving tourism and acquiring and developing major sporting and cultural events for Sydney and regional NSW. In addition, Destination NSW is the major investor in Business Events Sydney with the aim of securing more international conventions, incentive travel reward programs, corporate events and exhibitions.